Meet Malene B
Carpet Designer, world traveler, creative, bold and modern are all words that aptly describe Malene B and the refreshing, globally inspired, sophisticated style she brings to the world of contemporary carpet design.
Malene (pronounced May-lay-nee) Barnett is the president and design director of Malene B Carpets, a company specializing in creating handcrafted custom carpets for prestigious residential and commercial environments. Working together with Interior Designers and Architects, Malene B creates timeless masterpieces that enrich any setting.
A few of Malene B’s recent achievements include designing four carpets for the Presidential Suites of The Revel Hotel. Appearing on the Nate Berkus Show; starting a partnership with Surya, the home accessories supplier; participating as a selected guest speaker for a TEDx Talk event; graduating from the Goldman Sachs 10KSB / Tory Burch Foundation Program, a program designed specifically for women business owners and appearing as a panelist on Morning Joe alongside Tory Burch, President of the Tory Burch LLC / Tory Burch Foundation, Arianna Huffington, former Editor and Founder of The Huffington Post and Valerie Jarrett, Personal Advisor to President Barack Obama.
Malene Barnett lives, loves and creates in Brooklyn.
- Born in Bronx, NY to parents of West Indian Heritage.
- In the third grade I signed my first painting Malene B.
- Painted a self-portrait based on a Chuck Close technique and won Honorable mention.
- Sold my first painting and made art my business.
- Visited Ghana, West Africa with Afriquest, a cultural enrichment program hosted by the Afrikan Poetry Theater.
- After my trip I decided moving forward that all of my work will have cultural influences.
- Graduated FIT with honors and won the Textile Surface Design department medal.
- Hired by Nourison as its first in-house designer developing rugs sold to Bed Bath and Beyond, Home Depot and Macy’s.
- Traveled solo on a three month trip backpacking throughout Southeast Asia.
- Joined Jane Pollak’s women’s mastermind group where the Malene B brand was born.
- The Malene B brand focuses on carpets.
- Interior Design Magazine publishes first story about Malene B.
- Designed a carpet for the offices of Design Group Carl Ross.
- First time exhibiting at the ICFF in New York City.
- Appeared in LA Times,The Selby and New York Magazine.
- Designed a custom carpet for Boutique Hotel in Mauritus.
- Mask carpet installed Albany State University.
- St. Vincent carpet appears with Beyonce in L’Officiel Magazine.
- First TV appearance on the Nate Berkus Show.
- Guest speaker at Design Caribbean, Dominican Republic.
- Transition Collection Launches.
- Designs four carpets for the Presidential Suite of The Revel Hotel in Atlantic City.
- Guest Speaker for Tedx Talk on Entrepreneurship.
- Expansion takes place as carpets appear in Trinidad & Tobago, Canada and The Netherlands.
- Suyra Partnership kicks off with launch of Desinations and Voyages collection.
- Graduates from the Goldman Sachs 10KSB/Tory Burch Foundation Program for women entrepreneurs.
- Appears on the Morning Joe talk show as a panelist alongside Tory Burch, Arianna Huffington and Valerie Jarrett.
My journey continues as we launch new products and collections.
Portrait by Alaric Campbell Photography www.alaricphoto.com